Braised Chicken with Sweet Vegetables and Miso
Random winter storm had my under house arrest. In between calls and work I had this chicken going for hours. This can easily be done in a slow cooker, but I truly enjoyed being able to do this in my Le Creuset in the oven for 4 hours.
This chicken is sweet from the carrots, onions, butternut squash and miso. The fresh mint and lemon at the end livens it up. I hope that you enjoy!
4 each Chicken Thighs
5 each Carrots, peeled and cut in half
1 each Butternut Squash (small) peeled and cubed
1/4 cup Mint, chopped
1.5 Tbsp Mustard Seed
2 Tbsp Miso
2 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Sea Salt
Juice, One Lemon
1 each Sweet Onion
1 knob Ginger (3 inches) peeled and sliced thinly into disks
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1. Heat half coconut oil in Le Creseut. Sear chicken thighs on both sides well and remove from dutch oven, set aside.
2. Cut onion in half and into slices and add remaining coconut oil to dutch oven, sautee onions on medium with ginger until golden and transluscent. *I like to keep all of the chicken fat but you can discard the chicken fat before adding the second half of coconut oil and onions.
3. Add mustard seed, turmeric, salt pepper and miso to onions. Stir to combine.
4. Add carrots and squash, stir to combine. Add about 3 cups of water and using a wooden soon remove any caramelized bits (flavor!) from the bottom of the dutch oven.
5. Place chicken amongst veggies and broth and bring to a simmer.
6. Transfer to an oven at 300F with the lid on for four hours.
7. Remove lid and allow to simmer on the stove to reduce slightly. Add juice of one lemon and mint to finish.
Serve with coconut oil Persian Rice (tah dig) YUM!