Chocolate Whiskey Torte with Pistachio Gelato
Yield: 8 servings
1 lb/454 g California pistachios, shelled and raw
1 lb/454 g whole milk
6 oz/170 g heavy cream
4 oz/113 g coconut milk
2 oz/57 g sour cream
1 oz/30 g cornstarch
4.5 oz/127 g granulated sugar
1 oz/30 g lemon juice
½ tsp sea salt
1. Lightly toast or warm pistachios in a 300°F oven for 6 minutes. In batches, blend together the milk and pistachios in a Vitamix blender. Be sure to blend pistachios with milk on high speed to puree.
2. In a small saucepan, combine cream, coconut milk and sour cream.
3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and sugar. Bring cream to a simmer and whisk in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 90 seconds, until thickened. Blend into pistachio milk.
4. Allow mixture to sit overnight before straining with a fine mesh strainer. Whisk in lemon juice and salt. Spin according to manufacturer’s instruction.
8.8 oz/250 g condensed milk
7 oz/200 g Suntory Whiskey
7 oz/200 g heavy cream
0.17 oz/5 g Trablit coffee extract
Blend all ingredients together using an immersion blender.
Chocolate Whiskey Torte:
24.7 oz/700 g dark chocolate, melted
14 oz/400 g unsalted butter, room temperature
17.6 oz/500 g whole eggs
14 oz/400 g light brown sugar
8 oz/225 g Whiskey Cream
2 oz/55 g granulated sugar
3.5 oz/100 g all-purpose flour
½ tsp finely ground sea salt
1. In a bain-marie, melt the chocolate until warm, 90°F.
Add pieces of room temperature butter and stir until butter is melted. Keep this mixture warm!
2. Using a stand up mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs and brown sugar together until they are at ribbon stage. With the egg mixture in the mixer running on medium speed, slowly stream in the melted butter mixture, scraping the bowl as necessary. While mixing on medium speed, stream in the Whiskey Cream. Scrape down bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the sugar, all-purpose flour and salt. Fold the mixture into the chocolate mixture. Portion into nonstick 3.5” by 1” baking molds. Bake 165°C for 13 minutes. Unmold and serve with Pistachio Gelato.