Simple Vanilla Buttermilk Cake
A funfetti request has prompted this one. This cake is perfect to make in a cinch, and can easily multiply to feed...a wedding crowd. Made for my sister Samantha's wedding this past September in Montauk, this cake was able to be made a few days ahead and traveled to the shore unharmed thanks to the use of vegetable oil over butter.
While I chose to fill this beauty with blackberry jam, lemon lime curd and lime buttercream, I highly suggest having some fun for Easer with rainbow sprinkles in the batter and some fluffy buttercream with coconut.
320 grams all-purpose flour
200 grams cage free eggs, room temp
400 grams sugar
225 ml buttermilk
160 grams vegetable oil
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
Optional: 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
1. In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine sugar and eggs.
2. Whip on high for 5 minutes until ribboned.
3. Add vegetable oil and continue to whip to combine.
4. Sift flour with baking powder and salt two times.
5. Alternating buttermilk with vanilla and flour, add 1/3 of each at a time with the mixer running on low speed scraping in between.
*add sprinkles now for funfetti
6. Portion the batter between two 8 inch cake pans lined with parchment and sprayed or alternatively one half sheet tray.
7. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden.
*In a convection oven bake at 325F for 18-20 minutes.