Roman Cod Life
This dish is fantastic for a dinner party, when serving fish can seem challenging. The tomato base can also be batched out and re-heated with one to two portions of cod for an easy dinner for one or two.
The tomato base is rich, clean and full of flavor. I dream about it and hope you will too!
Entertaining Tip: I LOVE this served on top of polenta made simply with parmesan, olive oil and pine nuts
Inspired by the classic Roman dish, baccala a la romana which is a tomato ragu of capers and raisins with salt cod rinsed and simmered, this is a fresher take on the fish with an elegant tomato ragu of red onions and garlic, preserved lemon, salty capers and olives, sweet golden raisins and toasted pine nuts. This may seem like a pantry full of ingredients, but this make a lot of Roman Sauce!
You can make up to ten portions of cod from the base recipe. Or alternatively, make the sauce and save portions in the freezer, reheat with fresh portions of cod.
Tomato Ragu (makes ten portions)
2 each 14 ounce cans Organic fire roasted chopped tomatoes
1 quart low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 each medium/large red onion, halved and sliced thin
1/2 each preserved lemon, meat removed and diced
6 each Sicilian green olives, sliced
1.5 Tbsp Capers (optional)
1/3 cup Pine Nuts, toasted
1/3 - 1/2 cup golden raisins
1. In a large heavy bottomed, 3 inch deep skillet, slowly sweat onions and garlic until softened for 15 minutes.
2. Add cinnamon, parsley, basil, nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper.
3. Sautee to warm spices.
4. Add preserved lemon, olives, optional capers and golden raisins.
5. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, bring to a simmer.
6. Add two cans of tomatoes and return to a simmer.
7. Add pine nuts and remaining chicken stock. Continue to simmer until thick and flavors have merried.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To Make 10 Portions of Cod (dinner party)
2.75 pounds cod, cut into 10 portions
1. Place cod portions in large skillet on top of finished tomato ragu.
2. Simmer with the lid on for ten minutes.
3. Serve with polenta, parmesan, pine nuts and olive oil.
To Make 2 Portions of Cod
1. Once ragu is complete reserve 2 cups of sauce and freeze remaining.
2. Heat ragu in a small sautee pan with 2 each 6 ounce portions of cod.
3. Simmer with lid on for ten minutes until cod is cooked.
4. Serve with polenta, toasted pine nuts, olive oil and lemon.