Coconut Braised Kale with Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
This dish is a rich and clean plant based side or main, depending on what you are craving. I love a cozy bowl of this kale as is or with a piece of fish on top when that hunger strikes.
Roasted tomatoes are a cinch to make and add a burst of flavor to anything that they are added to. They richen stews, make any margherita panini something to write home about or enliven a simple Sunday pasta, more on that later.
Roma tomatoes are ideal for roasting and are an easy find at the market. You can roast a batch of tomatoes for the week to add to your omelets and easy meals or roast the tomatoes while your kale is hanging out in coconut milk.
6-10 roma tomatoes
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and cut out white core with a knife.
2. Toss tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and place cut side down on a parchment or silpat lined sheet tray.
3. Place in a 475F oven for 25 minutes.
4. Using an offset spatula, remove tomatoes and store in an airtight container in fridge, or set aside for Coconut Braised Kale.
Coconut Braised Kale
1 can Organic Coconut Milk
1 bunch Lacinto Kale, washed
1 large lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
6 Roasted Tomato Halves
1 can Organic Chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
1. Remove kale leaves from woody stems by pulling on the kale from the opposite direction to shred it off of the stem. Discard woody stems.
2. Cut large kale leaves in half and place in a large bowl with the juice of one lemon, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Massage kale for 5 minutes to break down the fibers.
4. Add coconut milk and nutmeg and stir to combine.
5. Allow to sit for 30 minutes while tomatoes roast.
6. Drain kale reserving coconut liquid. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet.
7. Add kale and cook on high heat a few minutes each side.
8. Remove kale and set aside. Add coconut milk to pan with 6 halves of roasted tomatoes and bring to a simmer to reduce for 5 minutes.
9. Add seared kale and chickpeas.
10. Simmer for ten minutes and serve immediately.