Beets, Spinach and Pickled Onions
A hearty salad in perfect timing for your "everything tastes better roasted" Autumn.
A super salad on it's own or put it on top of a bowl of wild rice for a simple lunch or light dinner.
Be sure to save the beet greens! Wash them well, blanch and sautee in olive oil and garlic. Save the fresh spinach for the salad and enjoy the extra boost from the beet greens.
Did you know?
Dark leafy greens, like beet greens, supply a good amount of protein, phosphorus and zinc. Packed with fiber and antioxidants, these often discarded greens are high in vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, copper and manganese. Sounds good to me!
Roasted Beet and Spinach Salad
Quick Pickled Red Onions
1/2 Red Onion, sliced thin
1 Tbsp Fennel Seed
1 Cup Vinegar
1 tsp Salt
1. Place above ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer for 4 minutes.
2. Place mixture in a bowl to cool before using.
1 Bunch Beets
1. Wash beets well and trim green stalks. Set aside stalks to sautee.
2. Place beets in a 400F oven for 1 hour.
3. Using gloves (new dishwasher gloves are great for this) peel the skin off the beets.
4. Cut the beets into wedges the size of a common apple wedge.
1 Container Baby Spinach
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 to 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
1. Whisk together balsamic, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper in the bottom of our salad bowl.
2. Drain red onions and place onions with some of the fennel seeds into dressing.
3. Add beets and toss to coat. Add spinach and almond and toss gently to coat with dressing.